Tuesday, August 29, 2006

Hola. Me llamo Jessica

With a "J" and not "H" or "Y". Apparently American names do not translate into Spanish consonants, but obviously, Spanish names do. So, Jennifer (as in Jennifer Lopez) retains the J sound, unless the speaker cannot say the J sound and then it is H or Y. But Oscar De La Hoya, being a Spanish name will be "Oya" and not "Hoya". I'm thinking Oscar De La Hoya is an American citizen, so he should have a Hoya, not Oya, but this was not the case. While I was presenting my case to the professor during our first Spanish class, I could see Lasko making evil eyes at me and silently sending me "please stop harrassing the teacher" signs at me. Too late. Everyone else in the class starts telling me Oscar De La Hoya is a Latin name. So I thought, so is Jennifer Lopez. There just needed to be a more sound rule, or an acknowledgement that there is no rule to this little discrepancy.

Anyways, in other first Spanish class news, this is how it went:

6:40 pm--we were late. We waited outside with a few more students before we were told class already started. Michael is quite unprepared with no pen nor paper. The teacher is reading the syllabus "no one is going to laugh at you"...I thought 'well, I might laugh at you. Please feel free to laugh at me'.
6:50 pm--still going through the syllabus. Starting to feel like I'm really in school. She starts going into grades, due dates, absences, I'm starting to get palpitations.
7:05 pm--she says it's beginning class, but she's saying everything in Spanish, so this did not calm many of the students. I see fear in many people's eyes...it grows stronger as she starts talking 90mph in Spanish. It was quite scary.
7:20 pm--according to her rule, Oscar de la Hoya should be pronounced Oscar de la Oya.
7:30pm--found out this was not a set rule. And I don't like this rule, because I have often been called "hessica" or "yessica", never Jessica in my Spanish classes. These Spanish professors are not communicating with each other.

And that was the beginning of Spanish class. We have a long way to go. Apparently I took this to better myself. I'm all about bettering myself! I think my name argumentation has successfully cut-off any hopes of a guy asking me for my number in that class though!

2 Comments:

Blogger Takealotofdrugs said...

No, you're not even a little argumentative.

3:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

palpitations- good word

6:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home